RHS Success Stories: Cara Peslak, Class of 2014

Artwork courtesy of Cara Peslak.

Roxbury High School is a highly successful performing and fine arts high school. RHS welcomes out-of-district choice students who want to participate in the great programs the school provides. While RHS is very successful in the arts, it is also successful in academics and sports. Due to the school’s overall success, there are many prosperous and noteworthy Roxbury High School alumni. With this series, The Roxbury Review’s goal is to highlight some of our alumni’s achievemnets to inspire our fellow peers. We hope that these stories become highlight all of the possibilities that lie beyond RHS. We hope to continue this serries throughout the years, will you be next year’s success story?

A young artist known as Cara Peslak is a local illustrator and an alumnus of Roxbury High School. Peslak grew up in a loving home with her sister and brother in Flanders, New Jersey. She works mainly on freelance artwork and children’s book illustrations. Her work is mainly influenced by childhood experiences and memories. Peslak’s creative mind comes from her mother who read her stories throughout her childhood. Peslak uses these memories and stories to influence her artwork today. She likes to find stories that she can create an emotional relationship to, an example can include the story of Matilda. Peslak crafted a series of illustrations based on Matilda’s story of loneliness and finding someone who truly cares about her. Peslak uses bright imagery, colors, and patterns to demonstrate the story of Matilda in her pieces. While Peslak was attending RHS she created several murials with her classmate, the murials are now located in the RHS cafeteria and she had one first place at the William Patterson University “Art Start” High School Exhibition for Mixed Media category.

After high school, Peslak decided to attend Maine College of Art, located in Portland, Maine. While she attended the school she created several pieces of work, including the series: Matilda, Seeds of Peace, Haunted Alphabet, and Pet Snail. The Roxbury Review interviewed Peslak to see how her experiences of being an artist at RHS affected her life, how art school changed her life, and advice to students who would like to pursue art. 

What made you fall in love with art?

My dad! He is a carpenter and visual artist. We spent a great amount of time drawing together as I grew up. 

How did RHS encourage/support your artwork/art style?

I felt (and still feel) so grateful to be supported by each and every art teacher at RHS. They made me feel understood and constantly pushed me to achieve my goals artistically. I don’t know where I would be without them today- I probably wouldn’t have went to art school if it weren’t for the art teachers I had at RHS. 

What accomplishments did you make at RHS?

I was able to design several murals with my classmate Jeff Phan during my senior year which was an incredible learning experience. Additionally, I participated in many juried art shows throughout high school. 

Did being an artist at RHS significantly affect your life?

Absolutely! I felt like I had belonged and thrived, even when life threw some tough times my way. 

What was it like attending an art college?

It was nothing like I imagined it would be at all! I learned tremendously, though. I was in an interesting transition- when I was in high school, I was considered one of the best artists in my class. I went from being the best to being surrounded by amazing artists of all kinds. I was so intimidating at first, but I eventually found my way and realized that comparing yourself to others is silly. 

Was it difficult attending college in a different state from your family?

Yes! I didn’t fully adjust to living so far away until the end of my freshman year. I was a strange culture shock at first, but over time I embraced the differences and fell in love with a new place that I called home. 

What inspired you to pursue art as your career?

Although many people and things have inspired me as a creative person, I would have to say that my own life experiences led me to become an artist. You gotta give yourself credit!

What would you say to students who want to become an artist?

Do it! But know that it won’t be easy and that you’re going to have many people discourage you along the way. At the end of the day, you need to trust yourself and follow your own voice. I’m still figuring it all out!

Cara Peslak, a successful artist who is inspired through experiences, other artists, and family members. She pursued her dreams through high school and college even though it was intimidating for her. Peslak had many opportunities due to being a student at RHS and shares with students to follow their dreams. The Roxbury Review hopes to inspire current and past students with these success stories RHS alumni. You could be the next RHS success story. 

You can support Cara Peslak’s  on Instagram @capillustration.