Ms. Rispoli Nominated as Max 106.3 Teacher of the Month

Photo+courtesy+of+Ms.+Rispoli.+

Photo courtesy of Ms. Rispoli.

Photo courtesy of Ms. Rispoli.

With a heart of gold, a smile reaching everyone who walks in her path, and eyes reflecting years of wisdom, Ms. Maria Rispoli was rewarded Max 106.3 Teacher of the Month. Of course, Ms. Rispoli’s heartwarming nomination came from a former student who was inspired by her. 

Over the past 15 years at Roxbury High School, anyone who has strolled passed Ms. Rispoli’s classroom has been greeted by a woman who wears a confident smile. With her door is always open, students and staff are invited in for conversation; the result is always a stronger relationship. 

Her vibrant room and enthusiastic personality welcome students, even teachers, who are seeking educational help as well as advice to better themselves. While she works hard for herself, she also continuously looks out for her students. Ms. Rispoli has formed connections with many of her students who have come and gone throughout highschool. She is a teacher who is always holding out a hand for students to trust and guide them to where they need to be. 

Ms. Rispoli emphasized, “learning requires a feeling of safety.” A belief any of her students can agree with. She added, “the leap students are going to take and the potential of failure is not going to be met with derision or laughter, but instead met with a hand and heart of support.” Of course, that hand and loving heart belong to Ms. Rispoli. 

It makes perfect sense this nomination was awarded by a past student of Ms. Rispoli’s, Julia VanLuvender. Julia was a student in Ms. Rispoli’s class in 2017-18. She wrote a submission entry to the radio station Max 106.3 expressing her gratitude and her rationale for nominating Ms. Rispoli. 

While scrolling through her emails one day, one specific one caught Ms. Rispoli’s eye. It was from Jennifer Wisniewski, the sales and promotions assistant at iHeartMedia Sussex; the email read, “You have been chosen as out Max 106.3 Teacher of the Month for October!” This may have been a shock for Rispoli, but for the students around the school, in Ms. Rispoli’s class, and anyone who knows her likely believes that this award was well deserved.  

As Ms. Rispoli sat back to think about how she felt about winning this award, her emotions were muddled. She revealed, “Of course I was thrilled and appreciative. It is so nice to be noticed for what you do.” However, when reflecting on that thought, there was a sense of sorrow remembering where this nomination came from. She recognized that this award was nominated and earned because she helped a student through a very hard time in her life.   

“I don’t want to be another adult who lets a person down,” said Ms. Rispoli with tears in her eyes. She went on to explain that the society we live in needs to change in order for success and happiness to be in the world. Ms. Rispoli embodies the change she wishes to see. As a teacher who is constantly helping others, spreading kindness and reaching out, Ms. Rispoli replies with, “It is my job. I love the kids of Roxbury.”

Steve Allen, one of the radio hosts for Max 106.3, hosted an interview with Ms. Rispoli. On Tuesday, October 29th, Ms. Rispoli humbly accepted the Teacher of the Month of October award. Posing with Steve Allen and the Credit Union Sponsor, Ms. Rispoli reveals her bright smile, holding up the student nominated award (see photo above). 

The award is proudly displayed on her classroom desk representing not only the hard work she has done in the past but all of the love she gave to her students, including Julia. Holding such pride in what she does, Ms. Rispoli makes it her duty to help others. 

Ms. Rispoli has an enormous, generous heart. She not only takes on the responsibilities of caring and communicating with her students, but she is always working hard for herself and her family. Inside school and out, she is constantly pushing herself to be a better person, teacher, and mother each and every day. She surrounds herself with positive quotes and messages, which allow her to spread her ideas to those who seek assistance, advice or help when they walk through her door. 

Roxbury is proud to have such a wonderful teacher who is inspiring students daily. Congratulations to Ms. Maria Rispoli on this wonderful honor.